Portugal fiscal representative

All non-EU residents including UK expats who own property, hold a bank account or have any other commercial activity or interest in Portugal must by law appoint a Fiscal Representative that is registered with the Tax Department.

The Fiscal representative in Portugal must be registered on their behalf to receive any tax department correspondence and ensure compliance within the legal deadlines.

They are responsible for informing you of your tax obligations, applicable laws and deadlines. Notifications from the Tax Department generally require a prompt response within 10 to 15 days. If these obligations are not fulfilled, it may result in fines, among other penalties.

All non-EU residents must have a Fiscal Representative in place BEFORE requesting a Portuguese fiscal number.

Please, note, it's Not an Option! If you are not an EU citizen, you are obliged to name a tax representative. If you fail to do this, you’ll be fined from 150€ to 7.500€. Even if you’re living in the EU, there are major benefits in naming an expert dedicated to deal with your fiscal matters in a timely and efficient manner.

Get your fiscal representative, fill out the form below

Prepare your documents:
– Passport
– Proof of address

Submit application form
in 2 minutes and pay €99 processing fee

Complete identity verification in 2 minutes

Make a signature in the application to e-sign it in your form

Receive your NIF up to 10 working days

What are the requirements to change tax (fiscal) representative?
  • NIF (Número de Identificação Fiscal) or Número de Contribuinte - number Portuguese tax identification.
  • Proof of address outside Portugal in English (By signing you agree with our terms and conditions, change of address and obtain tax representative in your NIF.)
  • Passport
I have had a fiscal number for years and I do not have a Fiscal Representative. Is this a problem?

If you are wrongly registered with Financias in Portugal as being resident in Portugal for tax purposes you may be liable to declare your worldwide income in Portugal. Any Tax Department correspondence could also be sent to the wrong address. If your IMI property tax bill is sent directly by the Tax Department to your Portuguese property, you are definitely registered as being fiscally resident in Portugal!

Will you notify me if you receive notification on my name?

If your representative received something on your name, usually it can be notification to pay taxes we'll scan it and inform you, if you need, we can re-send it on your address.